The Segmented Woodturners virtual chapter of the AAW has released the July Club Summary. Here are some of the goings on:
June was membership month and although over 700 people have paid to become members, only 260 have renewed so far. In a few weeks the membership level of those who do not renew will be downgraded and they will no longer have full access to the site. If you are a member and have not renewed, or would like to become a member, go to the Segmented Woodturners website.
The chapter met at the AAW Symposium in St. Paul and had a good turnout. There was a discussion about “Chapter Challenges” and it was agreed that this was something that could be done as a virtual chapter. Look for more information to come.
Planning for the next segmented symposium is going on. The date has been set (subject to change) for Oct. 19-21, 2012 at South Lake Tahoe, CA. Still looking for suggestions for demonstrators.
Board elections were held and the new board members are:
- Bill Kandler – member-at-large
- Dennis Keeling –member-at-large
- Phil Miller – member-at-large
- Jim Rodgers- Secretary
- Ron Sieloff – Treasurer
- Harvey Crouch – Vice President
- Malcolm Tibbetts – President
Here is a link to the new board photos and bios:
Some of the current forum discussions include:
- different ways that people use both turning scrapers for shaping and cabinet scrapers for finishing
- opinions on the best 12” disk sander
- choice for finish and how they apply it
- detailed conversation about vacuum pumps
The forum also had a discussion about stave construction using a router and ended up with a tutorial and additional resources.
The chapter website received 5,016 unique visitors in June and 255,355 page views.