On January 21st, we are honored to again host Lyle Jamieson, who was our very first remote demonstrator last April. We were very happy to have chosen Lyle as our first remote demonstrator because, in addition to being a great teacher, he also helped us to work through the process of getting set up to utilize the Zoom Meetings platform.
During this presentation, Lyle will show us how to make a bowl “bigger than the piece of wood you start with.” This is often called a “winged bowl”. It is an interesting project, and one that builds skills for any woodturner.
If you are paid up as an active member, look for the meeting invitation in your inbox on January 16th, and a meeting reminder on Wednesday January 20th. Then please join us all between 6:30 and 7:00 on Thursday the 21st for Lyle’s remote demonstration.
Many turners have turning related items on their Christmas wish list, from tools to wood to even a new lathe. Tell us what you got this year for Christmas.
What'd You Get For Christmas
- Chucks/Accessories (33%, 1 Votes)
- Other turning related items (33%, 1 Votes)
- Lump of Coal (33%, 1 Votes)
- Wood/other turning stock (0%, 0 Votes)
- Finishing Supplies (0%, 0 Votes)
- Sharpening System (0%, 0 Votes)
- Gouges/Skews etc (0%, 0 Votes)
- Lathe (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 3
The Inland Northwest Woodturners are meeting August 6th virtually with a demonstration by Craig Timmerman from Texas.
The Northwest Woodturners in Beaverton, Oregon are holding their next meeting virtually on August 6th. Joe Fleming will be demonstrating air brushing.
The Seattle Woodturners are meeting virtually on August 6th. Jason Clark will be demonstrating a Saturn Bowl.
The Willamette Valley Woodturners in Salem, Oregon will be meeting virtually on August 13th. Steve Newberry will be the demonstrator.
The Mid-Columbia Woodturners in Pasco are meeting virtually on August 8th. Jerry Johnson, Jerry Decker and Pat Miller will be giving individual presentations on applying finishes.
The Oregon Coast Woodturners in South Beach are meeting virtually on August 15th. Tod Raines will demonstrate the hook tool.
The Northwest Washington Woodturners in Mt. Vernon are meeting virtually on August 15th. Marin Sabin-Smith from the UK will demonstrate “Atmospheric Colouring and Deep Gloss Wax Finishing”.
The Cascade Woodturners in Portland, OR are meeting virtually on August 20th. Cindy Drozda will be the demonstrator.
The Olympic Peninsula Woodturners holding will be meeting virtually on August 26th. At this meeting Rudy Lopez will be the demonstrator.
The Greater Vancouver Woodturners Guild in Vancouver, B.C. are meeting virtually on August 27th. Joe Fleming will be demonstrating air brushing.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
AAW Announces Virtual Woodturning Event July 10-12
(St. Paul – June 4) – The American Association of Woodturners (AAW), a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the art and craft of woodturning worldwide, will launch its first-ever three-day online “Virtual Symposium” July 10-12, 2020.
The all-online event will feature live educational woodturning demonstrations, special interest sessions, panel discussions, live auctions, Instant Gallery, prizes drawings for attendees, a virtual trade show, and more.
- Demonstrators for the event will include woodturning pros Trent Bosch, Cindy Drozda, Rudy Lopez, Glenn Lucas, Mike Mahoney, and Craig Timmerman. Topics will be announced.
- Panel discussions will include social media/business, artistic practice, and an Instant Gallery critique.
- Special Interest Sessions will include Gizmos and Gadgets, a presentation of “best of the best” woodturning tips, and a Women in Turning (WIT) presentation.
- Each registered attendee may send an image to include in the Virtual Instant Gallery.
- The cost for all three days of programming is $20.20 (nonrefundable), which includes access to a replay of recorded Virtual Symposium content for up to two weeks following the event.
The official schedule and additional details will be available soon. Registration opens June 5 and closes July 3. Visit http://tiny.cc/2020AAWVirtual for more information and to register.